CTGU is located in Yichang, Hubei province. Yichang is a 8,000-year-old city on Yangtze River, at the entrance of Xilin Gorge (east mouth of the Three Gorges). This area is also famous for its wonderful landscapes:
- The Three Gorges,
- Shen Nongjia,
- Qingjiang River,
- Zigui, Qu Yuan¡’s hometown
- Xinshan, Wang Zhaojun’s hometown
- ancient battlefields of the Three Kingdoms…
It is also renowned for the hydroelectric projects that have been realized here:
- The Three Gorges Dam Project (Sanxia Daba) is the world greatest hydroelectric dam. It spans Yangtze River at Sandouping, Yichang. The construction began in 1994 and the reservoir began filling in June 2003. It aims at regulating the water flow, easing navigation on Yangtze, and generating power.
- Gezhouba Water Conservancy Project
- Geheyan Hydropower Plant
The university has a total area of 252 hectares. There are 59 various laboratories(lab centers), and the total value of teaching and research equipment is RMB 190 million yuan.The university has 1 national key field scientific observation station, 5 provincial or ministerial key laboratories, 2 provincial engineering technology research center, and 1 provincial key research base for humanities and social science. Now the frameworks of 5 discipline groups, i.e. engineering of hydroelectric energy, hazard protection and environment, computer information technology and control engineering, Three Gorges culture and tourism, and life science and biological technology, have been under construction.The university is located in Yichang City, Hubei Province, where there are worldwide famous Three Gorges Dam, Gezhouba Dam, and Qingjiang Geheyan Water Power Plant, the largest dam in Hubei Province. There is a long historic culture on celebrities and folk-custom, rich resources of Chinese traditional medicine and special ecological environment.